I’m a *little* afraid of summer this year, because I’m facing the season in my third trimester of pregnancy. Let me be graphic for a second: I’ve got a human space heater on my stomach, and underbelly sweat is real, y’all.
On Memorial Day, I filled ice cube trays with water and checked the freezer impatiently for two hours. Then I told my husband we should plan on buying bags of ice frequently, because otherwise I won’t survive until August.
Even though summer doesn’t start on the calendar until June 20, here in the Midwest, we’ve got humid weather, baby pools in the yard, and flip-flop sightings in my office. So Leslie and I asked our friends for their best/worst of summer. Here’s what they said:
- Sunshine and green
- All the kids playing outside after dinner each night
- BBQs and drinking outdoors
- Those hot summer nights
- Dresses! Sandals! The pool! Grilling!
- Family and cook outs
- Warm sunshine, flowers, fresh tomatoes and berries
- Enjoying the heat, swimming and watching the girl play with abandon
- Windows open in your house or car and the amazing breezes that come through
- A summer breeze and a glass of wine with friends on the porch talking and laughing about our crazy lives
- Anything over 85 degrees
- I have to work, so we don’t really get “summer break.”
- It’s too short! Summer is my jam.
- Getting sweaty during the bike/walk to work
- Finding time to do all the fun things that take place.
- When it’s over
- Telling the girl it’s time to come in for the night, and halting that whole “playing with abandon” thing
- Sunburns when you’re pasty and can’t do sunlight… even with sunscreen
- Sticky pits
- It doesn’t last.
BEST: Ice cream, popsicles, sorbet, fruity drinks…
WORST: Mosquito bites (and now Zika fears)
Happy summer! What do you love and hate about the season?